Tuesday 11 September 2012

Genre's

Today in Media, we learnt about Sub Genre's and Hybrid Genre's.

A 'Sub Genre' is a genre within a Genre, for example a common genre is 'science fiction' however that could be broken down into: Space, Time-Travel, Alien and so on.

A 'Hybrid Genre' is more than one genre mixed together, It could be argued that everything is a hybrid genre, for examplem, you could say that although Spiderman is 'science fiction' it could also come under the 'love' genre, aswell as 'action.' People make hybrid genre's because they think it will make the film more interesting and to introduce new features into the film.

We also learnt that there has to be a genre cycle to keep audiences interested. This is because if the same genre was always shown at the cinema, no-one would go and watch as it would be boring and predictable, so writers have to bring out whatever genre is most popular. At the moment, I've noticed that superhero films are popular, recently, they have brung out the new Spiderman, the new Batman, and Avengers Assemble.They have to keep the film familiar but add new twists to engage the audience and make their films exciting.

Learning about Genre has helped me understand that if you go into too much detail, there isn't really much thing as a genre and the definition of it has changed for me. It has given me knowledge on how I can classify films into different categories.

 My Hybrid
If I could create my own hybrid film then I would mix together, comedy romance and horror, this is because they are all my favourite genre's. I believe that it would be a good movie if it made you laugh at times, and other times made you scared, and a love story added inbetween.
12.09.2012

No comments:

Post a Comment